My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #15

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

Speaking of better pieces, this is one of them. What we have here is something known as a galop. It’s kind of a reverse polka. Whereas a polka goes "oomp-chuck," a galop goes "chuck-oomp." Still with me? Good. What I wanted to do here is write something driving in a minor key with a horn lead and a really bitchin' tuba part. I wasn't thinking about form, but it turned out kind of weird. In case you're interested, it goes intro-A (horn lead)-B (trumpet lead)-C-D-B (horn lead)-C-A (trumpet lead). The A theme veers pretty close to sounding like film music, but then veers sharply away for the rest of the piece - until it shows up again. The advent of the C theme is a little bit of a mystery. I barely remember writing the notes, since it came out just as you hear it. The D theme was a lot more trouble. All those short-burst lines from the trumpets turn around the feel and monkey with the phrasing. Ending the section sooner made it sound too abrupt and prolonging it made it sound pointless and meandering. I just picked what seemed like the right downbeat and ended it. Things quickly return to normal - or at least I hope they do. This piece is a solid effort that hints at many minor-key pieces to come.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: